This is one of my favourite meals and it is great after slightly overindulging. It tastes fresh, healthy and generally awesome, and a batch can be made up to last for a good few meals. You can alter some of the ingredients to suit what you have in, and what you fancy. Again you can make a vegi option by replacing the chicken with pulses/lentils (or both) and by using Vegi stock.
What you need
- Homemade chicken stock (see stock recipe)
- Mix of herbs
- Sweet potato and/or butternut squash
- Chilli (dried flakes or fresh)
- Chickpeas (optional)
- Chicken pieces (cooked)
- Sugar snap peas or green beans.
How to do it
- Chop sweet potato and/or butternut squash. Place them in a large pan with stock.
- Add mixed herbs, chilli, and chickpeas if you are going to use them.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 15/20mins.
- Ladle a bowlful (ie. one portion) into another pan.
- Add the chicken pieces and simmer for 5 mins.
- Add the sugar snap peas or green beans and spinach and cook for 2 more mins.
- The reason I don’t put meat into the large pan is to avoid heating and reheating meat: add chicken to the broth as you need it.